Monday, February 18, 2013

Girraween National Park

After spending the morning and early afternoon working in the restaurant, Mike and I joined Betty and Ben (the German couple also staying here) as well as their two Japanese friends for a trip to Girraween National Park. We wanted to go to the biggest rock after Ayers Rock but it is about an hour and a half drive away and it was too late in the day. In the national park, there were about 5 or 6 rock formations you could hike to. We went to castle rock. The total hike distance was 5.2km. Most of the hike was relatively easy, uphill most of the way. As we got closer to the top, the rock surface got steeper and you needed your arms to climb.

Not even halfway through our hike, I was bitten by a bull ant. He got me through me shoe. They are evil little guys that chase you. I was ready to turn around and go back. I was hot, tired and in pain. I decided to walk further to see how my foot felt and I found the pain lessened if I kept moving. I kept going and I am very glad that I did.

The view from the top was utterly amazing. The wind was blowing harder at the top but not enough to be scary. It was refreshing and seemed to engulf me. When we reached the top, each of us went to our own piece of rock, sat down and took in the view. I sat with the wind at my back and the sun on my face. I felt connected to Mother Earth and Father Sky. I could feel the strength of the stone beneath me and the lightness of the wind surrounding me. It was serene and peaceful. My soul felt lighter and filled with joy. Despite how strenuous the climb was, I felt refreshed and alive.

When we walked down, the sun was lower in the sky and shining through the foliage. Everything had a green hue and it cooled off. It was magical. When we reached the bottom we walked into a little clearing and saw wild kangaroos! It was so cool. They weren't startled by us but kept an eye on where we were. The drive back was beautiful, with the sun setting behind the leafy trees on a winding road. It felt like something out of a story or movie.





































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment