Monday, January 21, 2013

Take off

When you stop to think about, it is truly amazing that not that long ago it was believed that humans would never fly and now thousands, if not millions of flights take off daily around the world. It is phenomenal that it seems so easy and natural to us now.

I was blessed to be given a window seat as I left Canada. I got to fly over the sunset on the Rocky Mountains. I cannot think of a better goodbye for my country. My last glimpse of Canada cloaked in snow. I felt like a child pestering poor Mike, who was watching his movie, to look out the window at the mountains, the clouds, the moon and the sunset. He would laugh and look, patting my thigh and then returned to his movie.

We landed in Los Angeles in balmy 22 weather. Comfortably warm while the locals were in sweaters and toques. We met up with Mike's sister and her boyfriend to have dinner before catching our main flight. I apparently offended our waiter by asking for a straw when he brought our water since he already had them in his pocket. He wouldn't fill up my water after. The soup nazi from Seinfeld popped into my head haha.

The 15 hour flight to Sydney didn't really feel that long, granted we slept for most of it. The meals were actually really good for airplane food and there were a lot of movies to watch to pass the time. We had exit row seats with no window view, so we didn't get to see much. Our first order of business when we landed and cleared customs was coffee, iced coffee. The weather is overcast and a balmy 21c. It is very humid, we noticed it as soon as we stepped off the plane. We will be taking the metro to our hotel so we can shower and regroup.





No comments:

Post a Comment