Thursday, December 5, 2013

Last days of Aus

We ended up spending a month in Melbourne, spending the rest of our time there living at Tram Stop 14. Everyone there became like a family to us and we were always doing different activities together. We did a large group meal for Christmas in July as well as a secret Santa. We all cooked different parts of the meal and sat down together in the tiny kitchen. The food was fantastic and we all had such a great time together. Everyone seemed to enjoy Ernie's mulled goon (cheap boxed wine). The secret Santa gifts ended up being quite hilarious and creative since we had a $5 limit. I ended up getting a plastic stick of bamboo from Jack. It was completely useless but ended up being quite hilarious. It ended up decorating the kitchen for the rest of the time we were there. I got Bas a snowman mug and a potato peeler for his present. It was a really great night.

I spent many days wandering around Melbourne, checking out cafes and shops and all the graffiti. I applied for many jobs but never heard back from any. My favourite cafe that Becca showed me was Grub. It was so eccentric. Every table was different, there was a different rug under every table, water was served in a thermos or plastic tea pot, the lights had those large blue water jugs around them. The food, coffee and tea was fantastic. Quite often I would go there by myself with my journal and sketch book and just drink a pot of tea and create. It was probably my favourite place other than Lentils as Anything. Lentils as Anything was a restaurant that worked solely off donations and volunteer work. Everyone working there was a volunteer and you only paid what you thought the food was worth. It was set up buffet style and you could have as much as you want. All the food was vegetarian/vegan and they had live music every night. We went there quite often, especially with Becca. Such an amazing place full of good energy.

I very much enjoyed my time and Melbourne and I made some great friends while I was there. I would love to come back and visit it again, maybe even live there for awhile. It's such a beautiful and unique place.























































No comments:

Post a Comment